What is PROTECTOR?
PROTECTOR is a game that has been revived from certain death and now has the opportunity to be completed and published on the Atari Jaguar.
So, what is PROTECTOR? To be honest, yes, the game is fundamentally a Defender clone. But we already have D2K, right? What could PROTECTOR possibly offer Jaguar fans?
I believe PROTECTOR will appeal to anyone looking for the classic gameplay associated with the original Defender, but with enhanced graphics, sounds, and new enemies to battle. Whether or not you're a fan of Defender Plus or Defender 2000, if you enjoy
Defender and want a game loaded with nonstop action and massive doses of replayability, PROTECTOR is for you.
What are some features of the game?
Here are a few features:
- Rendered enemies with sharp animation
- Rendered explosions with the added bonus of particle shatter effects
- Power-ups to purchase additional equipment and energy for your ship
- 3+ layers of parallax scrolling
- 60 FPS 90% of the time or better
- Over 100 simultaneously active objects
- Enhanced audio effects, including digitized voices
- In-game music via a MOD player
- Lots of new enemies, including ground-based turrets, missile launchers, meteors, and more!
- 40+ levels of nonstop fun!
Who's coding/publishing the game?
I (Carl Forhan) have obtained the rights to the complete source and graphics, and have set about finishing the game. At this point, I'd estimate the game is 80% finished, and is currently in a fully-playable state. I have both the equipment and skills
necessary to complete this game, and have already improved some areas such as adding ProController support and additional animation for the humanoids.
I will find a publisher for the game when completion draws near.
What's left to finish?
See the milestone chart above for more details.
- Level layouts / difficulty adjustments
- Power-up awards / costs
- Additional enemies
- Additional graphic frames
It sounds cool, but can I see it for myself?
Some screen shots are provided above, and you should check out AGH for many more pictures.
Mark Santora has graciously offered to include a video clip from PROTECTOR in his upcoming World of Atari '98 video in the spirit of wanting to support current Jaguar projects. You should strong
ly consider picking up this video!
Also, check out the
Official PROTECTOR Playtester Page
for screen shots and another video clip and other goodies.
In summary, I believe PROTECTOR retains the classic feel of Defender and builds on that foundation with animated graphics, more enemies and level variety, and enhanced audio. The game will not revolutionize the Jag, but it will offer a strong 2D game f
or the Jaguar in the tradition of Raiden and Defender Plus.